Author Topic: carburettor query...  (Read 4042 times)

traNZam

carburettor query...
« on: December 07, 2014, 09:11:13 PM »
I'm working on getting my '76 455 4sp TA on the road for next year. I'm compiling a list of parts I'm going to need to get it legal and (relatively) reliable.
It's a very original car. No mods, no shiny bolted on bits anywhere and needs a full service to get up to a good mechanical standard.
I'm not looking to add any major mods, other than for safety and reliability
It was originally a high country car, so doesn't have any of the Californian smog gear fitted.
It has the original Rochester 4BBL carb, filter canister and inlet manifold etc.

The question is, to use the car in today's traffic conditions, am I better to have the original carb rebuilt, or replace with a modern carb (and maybe inlet manifold)?
If so, what's a good brand/size to fit to a bog standard 455 Ponti V8?
Is it better to add it to my import parts list, or is there a recommended retailer here in SYD I can go to to pick some brains?

Thanks,

Jason.

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
Re: carburettor query...
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 02:15:06 PM »
Jason, I'm interested to know what you mean by "today's traffic conditions".  How are they different to any other time.  Also, you mentioned replacing it with a "modern carb".  There's actually nothing modern about carburetors, as most cars have had fuel injection since the 1980s.  Even my son's 1987 Holden Camira has f.i.  Any new carby you buy today will be relying on 1950s & 60s technology.

Whilst this is just my view, a properly operating Quadra-jet carb (which you have) can't be beaten, especially in a stock application like yours.  The car will start easily and run perfectly under pretty much any conditions that you'll find in Australia.  There are others that like Holleys, (I'm not one of them) and of course, there are other brands too, but I don't think you cant beat a Q-Jet with a factory manifold.  The other thing is that your shaker will fit, which may not be the case if you start to change things around.     

69DirtyRat

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 09:01:29 PM »
what he said!
also when you say "todays traffic conditions", I assume you mean 1hour to go 5k's Sydney traffic? Well check your radiator because you will need an efficient cooling system for big cubes in Sydney!!!!!
1969 Corvette ZL-1 540ci 755hp
1972 Chevy Suburban 454ci
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Limo 390ci 325hp
www.ratpackmuscle.com

sms777

• Rally Licence
  • Sponsor & The Mechanic
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 09:05:10 PM »
Hi Jason,
bonnevista pretty much answered your question, only a couple of things I may add. When you say modern carby I am sure you are thinking of some of the Holley offsprings like Quick Fuel, Barry Grant or the new Edelbrock range which are more performance orientated. Edelbrock has some really nice products that cater for economy or all out performance. They are my favourite. However for bog stock you may want to stick with your Rochester, have it rebuilt for around $300 and you will have a carby that will serve you well for many years. As for intake aftermarket alloy manifolds will only save you a few kilos in dead weight but will have no real benefit in a bog stock engine.
Good luck with your resto and if you have further questions click on to my Tech tips, you will get my attention quicker.... :thumb:
Cheers, Chris.

Phone 02 9793 3332
Biggles, The Flying Mechanic

traNZam

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 03:29:52 PM »
Thanks to all of you for the informative and constructive feedback. It is much appreciated.
I don't know how to reply to you individually, so collectively below;
I'll go for the re-build of the original carb. I wasn't sure about the benefits of a new one. They often promise improved efficiency,  but then fuel efficiency wasn't top of mind when I bought the car! Good points made about getting everything to fit under the hood too.
I like that fact that this is the cheaper option, there will be (a little more) money for the other necessary jobs the car needs to have done!
Yes, by modern traffic I meant the stop/starts in 40°C heat. I bet the traffic flowed better in California in 1976 than it does in SYD today!
Thanks also for the reference to cooling. That's next on my to-do list.
The core of the original rad looks ok in place and the coolant is still nice and green. The only decent drive I had was months ago for around 30kms on the open road to get the car home when I was down in MEL. It got hot (ish) then, so I'm not sure a flush and test will improve cooling much. How about simply adding an electric fan to the original rad? What's the norm for the local conditions?

Thanks again,

Jason.

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 04:35:16 PM »
Jason, I drive my 455 powered barge every day, including Sydney traffic with the A/C on full blast in 40 degree heat :pepper:.  No issues. :cool:

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333