Author Topic: Good reason to have proper insurance  (Read 7062 times)

stanglover

Good reason to have proper insurance
« on: March 09, 2011, 09:53:35 AM »
It's sad news to hear something like this happen, but it just drilled into me why having to pay twice as much for my insurance now is the right thing to do:

http://www.juneesoutherncross.com.au/news/national/national/general/bride-chauffeur-burnt-in-wedding-car-fire/2095872.aspx

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 10:01:45 AM »
So, what does that have to do with paying twice as much for insurance?  And twice as much as what?

My car's insured for daily use and it's cheaper to insure than a Holden or Falcon.

stanglover

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 11:29:54 AM »
Dude, I'm talking about having the correct insurance for wedding car hire business as well as public liability.
The above is required if you're going to accept money for doing weddings etc..
I'm sure plenty of forum members are happy to do a wedding here or there but what will happen if something like what happened in the article????

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 11:41:08 AM »
Well, Dude, my insurer is ok with me doing the odd wedding or formal, provided I'm not running a business, which I'm not.

So, Dude, maybe you could explain what you actually mean when you start a thread instead of leaving it up to my imagination or my (limited) powers of deduction to work it out.

Also, you make the assumption that the guy in the article is running a wedding car business.  He may be, but he could also just be helping out a mate who's getting married.

chris67

• P Plater
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 02:05:02 PM »
Hi Stanglover

I dont think everyone would be using their car as a business. So for the one off job here or there im sure no insurance company would have a problem if a claim had to be done.
Rev It Loud, Drive It Proud!  

Fine 59

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 02:55:45 PM »
  I've done over 100 weddings with a couple of mobs I work for , never had an incident as bad as that , does make you think though how vulnerable we all are to this.

stanglover

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 03:07:11 PM »
Quote from: Fine 59 link=topic=4191.msg26368#msg26368
 I've done over 100 weddings with a couple of mobs I work for , never had an incident as bad as that , does make you think though how vulnerable we all are to this.

And that sir is Exactly what I was trying to point out :thanks:

stanglover

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 03:10:21 PM »
Quote from: chris67 link=topic=4191.msg26367#msg26367
Hi Stanglover

I dont think everyone would be using their car as a business. So for the one off job here or there im sure no insurance company would have a problem if a claim had to be done.

Maybe for a little fender bender, but what about if a bride heaven forbid got burnt or someone got killed??
You think the insurance company won't have a problem forking out a couple of million? or would they just come back and say sorry, you weren't insured for that sort of thing?
I'm not being smart.....just opening the conversation that's all.

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 04:34:47 PM »
Quote from: stanglover link=topic=4191.msg26370#msg26370
Quote from: chris67 link=topic=4191.msg26367#msg26367
Hi Stanglover

Maybe for a little fender bender, but what about if a bride heaven forbid got burnt or someone got killed??
You think the insurance company won't have a problem forking out a couple of million? or would they just come back and say sorry, you weren't insured for that sort of thing?
I'm not being smart.....just opening the conversation that's all.

Personal injury is a matter for your greenslip (in NSW), not you comprehensive car insurance.

It's been legislated that if greenslip insurers take your money and your car is registered, they have to payout on a claim.

stanglover

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 04:51:57 PM »

Personal injury is a matter for your greenslip (in NSW), not you comprehensive car insurance.

It's been legislated that if greenslip insurers take your money and your car is registered, they have to payout on a claim.[/quote]

Then please explain why you need public liability?
I'm operating as a car hire business so why was I told by my current insurer that they cannot insure my car if I'm running a business out of it, and I also needed public liability.

I was more than happy with LSV, I was only paying $500, now that figure has tripled.

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333