Author Topic: The Pontiac Thread (Split from Chrisevo's Tank Thread)  (Read 9513 times)

GAS455

The Pontiac Thread (Split from Chrisevo's Tank Thread)
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 09:51:14 PM »
Quote from: 572goat link=topic=3134.msg18419#msg18419
:boxing: My dissapointment in the PONTIAC engine is only the 428 that used to be in my car i had nothing but problems with it [ overheating , oil leaks ,blowing smoke ] even after we rebuilt it a couple of times , I don't hate the brand , I just like sturring PONTIAC owners up [ very sensitive people ] like most of my pontiac mates :zip: , but the best part of my 428 was doing 120mph down eastern creek raceway then blowing it to peices around the bottom corner , then i saw the light and put a 572 GM create engine in then doing 150mph down eastern creek straight only to brake the chev  broken rockers , so a fresh rebuild supercharger and it doesn't stop,  JUST a question about PONTIACS didn't most of them leave the FACTORY with:boxing: SMALL BLOCK CHEVROLET ENGINES .:boxing:

LOL...Only Export and Canadian Ponchos had Chebbys in them.

But I fixed that problem(well I didn't, the previous owner did) and put a 455 in.

There sounds to be a few quick Ponti engined cars coming out this year and next year....the Pontiac aftermarket has grown in leaps to bounds over the past few years.  

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 09:52:14 PM »
:JUST a question about PONTIACS didn't most of them leave the FACTORY with:boxing: SMALL BLOCK CHEVROLET ENGINES .:boxing:

Like when??

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 10:01:33 PM »
:boxing: My dissapointment in the PONTIAC engine is only the 428 that used to be in my car i had nothing but problems with it [ overheating , oil leaks ,blowing smoke ] even after we rebuilt it a couple of times , boxing:

So, you clearly know what you're doing.:rol::rol::rol:

Hemifish

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 10:02:35 PM »
:boxing: PONTIAC must have sent a few thousand chev powered PONTIACS to australia , its very rare to see  PONTIAC power [bigblock power] cars around , i know of about 15 mates with them,  But most cars you see are parrisine and the like , We need to get the PONTIAC powered cars out of hiding,  Also know of a couple of MAD PONTIAC powered cars landing here soon FULL RACE CARS mad.:bow::bow::bow:

Hemifish

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 10:04:24 PM »
Quote from: bonnevista link=topic=3134.msg18423#msg18423
:boxing: My dissapointment in the PONTIAC engine is only the 428 that used to be in my car i had nothing but problems with it [ overheating , oil leaks ,blowing smoke ] even after we rebuilt it a couple of times , boxing:

:boxing: does your musle car go faster than 50mph:zip:

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 10:23:49 PM »
Quote from: 572goat link=topic=3134.msg18424#msg18424
:boxing: PONTIAC must have sent a few thousand chev powered PONTIACS to australia , its very rare to see  PONTIAC power [bigblock power] cars around , i know of about 15 mates with them,  But most cars you see are parrisine and the like , We need to get the PONTIAC powered cars out of hiding,  Also know of a couple of MAD PONTIAC powered cars landing here soon FULL RACE CARS mad.:bow::bow::bow:

Ok, history lesson time.  

The Parisienne is a model produced only in Canada, by (funnily enough) Pontiac of Canada.

There's no such car in the US as a Pontiac Parisienne (until the late '70's, but that's another story).

During the '60's in Canada, GM only had the two brands, Chevrolet and Pontiac.  They didn't produce Olds, Buick or Caddy.  But, unlike the US, where a Pontiac is a more expensive car than a Chevy, they were sold side by side, with the same levels of trim, options and cost.

The reason they ended up in Australia (and South Africa and England etc.), is because of our situation with the British Commonwealth.  All Commonwealth countries were encouraged to trade with each other.  So, as well as Canadian Impalas and Parisiennes, there were also piles of Vauxhalls, Morrises, Vanguards, etc.

Now, the phrase I've used more than any other over the past nearly 30 years - there's no such thing as a 'big block' Pontiac when talking about the 'traditional' Pontiac engine.  The original 287 cid engine that appeared in 1955, has the same sized block as a 455.  Cylinder heads from a 287 will bolt onto a 455.  They have just bored and stroked them over the years.

The exception to the above is the 'low deck' 265 and 301 engines produced in the late '70's.

As far as "we need to get the Pontiac powered cars out of hiding", all I can say is I've had Pontiac powered cars for 29 years, and I've used them all as daily transport, so mine isn't hidden.

I hope this was helpful.:smile:

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 10:28:09 PM »
Quote from: 572goat link=topic=3134.msg18427#msg18427
Quote from: bonnevista link=topic=3134.msg18423#msg18423

:boxing: does your musle car go faster than 50mph:zip:

Yes, and it has for 221,000 miles and continues to do so.  But I have a cruiser at the moment, not a muscle car.  I went through my muscle car phase years ago.

Hemifish

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 10:34:59 PM »
Quote from: bonnevista link=topic=3134.msg18430#msg18430
Quote from: 572goat link=topic=3134.msg18424#msg18424

Ok, history lesson time.  :boxing:

The Parisienne is a model produced only in Canada, by (funnily enough) Pontiac of Canada.

There's no such car in the US as a Pontiac Parisienne (until the late '70's, but that's another story).

During the '60's in Canada, GM only had the two brands, Chevrolet and Pontiac.  They didn't produce Olds, Buick or Caddy.  But, unlike the US, where a Pontiac is a more expensive car than a Chevy, they were sold side by side, with the same levels of trim, options and cost.

The reason they ended up in Australia (and South Africa and England etc.), is because of our situation with the British Commonwealth.  All Commonwealth countries were encouraged to trade with each other.  So, as well as Canadian Impalas and Parisiennes, there were also piles of Vauxhalls, Morrises, Vanguards, etc.

Now, the phrase I've used more than any other over the past nearly 30 years - there's no such thing as a 'big block' Pontiac when talking about the 'traditional' Pontiac engine.  The original 287 cid engine that appeared in 1955, has the same sized block as a 455.  Cylinder heads from a 287 will bolt onto a 455.  They have just bored and stroked them over the years.

The exception to the above is the 'low deck' 265 and 301 engines produced in the late '70's.

As far as "we need to get the Pontiac powered cars out of hiding", all I can say is I've had Pontiac powered cars for 29 years, and I've used them all as daily transport, so mine isn't hidden.

I hope this was helpful.:smile:

Thanks for the history maby i might learn more on saturday 8-5-10 at smithfield.:thanks:    Also back to the FORD petrol smell it might be a blocked breather:bow:

cpu

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2010, 08:45:08 PM »
You guys like to make me work don't ya! :boxing: :smile:

Thread split from original thread and moved to Just Talk :smile:

Hemifish

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2010, 09:29:12 PM »
Quote from: cpu link=topic=3142.msg18462#msg18462
You guys like to make me work don't ya! :boxing: :smile:

:boxing:someone has to Amuse everyone , if my DAD was still alive he whould of said ITS ALL A GIGGLE:drink::lol::lol::lol:

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333