Author Topic: split from the Nov 13-15 Leadfoot Challenge Weekend 2009 Thread  (Read 20537 times)

Bumblebee

split from the Nov 13-15 Leadfoot Challenge Weekend 2009 Thread
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2009, 08:35:43 PM »
Superb!!! Can't wait to go for a run Chris.

68PONY

« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2009, 10:50:35 AM »
Yep all i wanted was a neat engine bay , i got that plus more , pete from  SR  has done a great job , and yes hev the black on red looks great but the chrome montecarlo bar and the zinc plated hinges and bolts just top it off, im  rapt , OH! the car goes alright to ;12

GT SALLY

« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2009, 01:47:27 PM »
............ OH! the car goes alright to ;12

Yeah, right! Don't hold back!

68PONY

« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2009, 11:04:31 PM »
Okay windsor owners if you rebuild your motor DO NOT FIT A HIGH VOLUME OIL PUMP doing so will almost certainly kill your distributor gear as i recently found out , not only will it kill the dizzy gear in turn that will also kill the cam gear , some one decided to fit one (HIGH VOLUME OIL PUMP)to my sump without doing there homework , can i add sr performance did not build the bottom end including the sump , I am in no way putting down anyone   , it was a simple f@ck up and will be fixed by those concerned and appoligies have been made , new cam and dizzy gear has been orded ,new standard oil pump has been fitted , same type as originally in sump , dam was looking forward to taking it to the nationals , ah well there is always next year.
cheers chris.

joe74ta

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2009, 11:35:34 PM »
Sorry to here that Chris you must feel gutted;K

69DirtyRat

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2009, 11:39:50 PM »
I know how you feel! :mad:
1969 Corvette ZL-1 540ci 755hp
1972 Chevy Suburban 454ci
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Limo 390ci 325hp
www.ratpackmuscle.com

cpu

« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2009, 12:08:49 AM »
That sucks.  Sorry to hear that.

cpu

« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2009, 01:20:33 AM »
Thought you may be interested.  I did a little digging around on this and came across this from

Are high volume oil pumps OK to run on the street?

We get asked this one from time to time. It depends on the engine. A Chevy engine can use a high volume oil pump just fine where most small block and even some big block Ford's have trouble running one. Why? Some people say that a high volume oil pump can pump all of the oil to the top of the motor and basically empty out the oil pan before it can all drain back again. Yeah right, no way! A high volume oil pump only pumps about 20% to 30% more oil. So that would mean that your stock pump is only 20 or 30% away from sucking your oil pan dry? I don't think so. The real reason is this: Chevy's use a larger distributor gear than a Ford, in fact, it's about twice the size. The distributor gear is what takes the load of spinning the oil pump. Ford gears tend to get eaten-up because they just can't take the load of a high volume oil pump. Once you eat-up a distributor gear, it is pretty much disaster for the cam gear as well plus all of that metal going through the engine doesn't help things either. We tend to use stock oil pumps on Ford's and high volume pumps on Chevy's, as far as stock and performance street engines go. On race Ford engines, we run high volume pumps and just keep a close eye on the distributor gear for premature wear.

68PONY

« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2009, 07:57:51 AM »
Originally posted by cpu
Thought you may be interested.  I did a little digging around on this and came across this from

Are high volume oil pumps OK to run on the street?

We get asked this one from time to time. It depends on the engine. A Chevy engine can use a high volume oil pump just fine where most small block and even some big block Ford's have trouble running one. Why? Some people say that a high volume oil pump can pump all of the oil to the top of the motor and basically empty out the oil pan before it can all drain back again. Yeah right, no way! A high volume oil pump only pumps about 20% to 30% more oil. So that would mean that your stock pump is only 20 or 30% away from sucking your oil pan dry? I don't think so. The real reason is this: Chevy's use a larger distributor gear than a Ford, in fact, it's about twice the size. The distributor gear is what takes the load of spinning the oil pump. Ford gears tend to get eaten-up because they just can't take the load of a high volume oil pump. Once you eat-up a distributor gear, it is pretty much disaster for the cam gear as well plus all of that metal going through the engine doesn't help things either. We tend to use stock oil pumps on Ford's and high volume pumps on Chevy's, as far as stock and performance street engines go. On race Ford engines, we run high volume pumps and just keep a close eye on the distributor gear for premature wear.

YEP! , cpu it took 5 minutes of research for me to find out , what you have posted is exactly what happened to me , gutted is a understatement, what i don't understand is why didn't the experts know, my previous motor has a stock oil pump and did the job fine with no issues of dizzy wear.
If you are going to run a hv pump you need to oversize the hole that feeds the dizzy gear oil ,this keeps the gear cooler .

twodogs

« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2009, 03:19:41 PM »
:mad:   crap crap double crap.     .........:mad:

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333