Author Topic: new forum member - help with engineering/RTA woes  (Read 7916 times)

robbie

new forum member - help with engineering/RTA woes
« on: July 26, 2009, 09:12:17 PM »
Hi Folks, new member to the forum here, so be gentle :)

I've just bought a 1970 cadillac coupe deville from the US and am in the process of getting it out here and registered.

The car has shaved door handles, with access to the car via remote entry which wind down the windows. It also has an air-ride suspension set up.

The one RTA engineering signatory who has even agreed to look at my car to get an engineering certificate has told me the car needs to:

- have some mechanical means of opening the doors from the outside, like a hidden button/switch/handle
- air-ride suspension has to have some auto-levelling device so that the front and back are of even ride height.

My question is...can anyone recommend someone on south west sydney (liverpool campbelltown way) that can do either of those two mods? For the door stuff, am I better off taking the car to a paint/panel shop, or a mechanic?

Thanks for any info you can give me. I'm not sure my car qualifies as 'muscle' (tho it has a 472 big block?), but I hope to be around the forum and maybe even join the club if you'll have me! Here's my car...

GT SALLY

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 09:32:30 PM »
Can't help with your query but that is "one sweet ride" robbie!

robbie

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 09:55:24 PM »
thanks - You probably won't miss me when I'm finally out and about, that's for sure!

MuscleVette

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 10:03:31 PM »
 ;18   Robbie welcome to the forum it would be a pleasure to have you & your Caddie in our club. About your door handles give a friend of mine a call his name is Jeff on 0412534317 he is an auto electrician who has hot rods.
 ;v Garry ;M :cool:
Past And Present Cars

robbie

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 10:12:17 PM »
thanks for that Garry. Car won't arrive for a month or so. I'll apply for proper membership and call your mate then.

Much obliged.

Muzzy 66

• Rally Licence
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 10:16:06 PM »
Hi Robbie...

Try calling I think there called Lohning Bros Engineers at Peakhurst/Penshurst for some advice they should be able to point you,used them myself years ago.

There is also Steve Janda think hes in Menai.

There is another engineer out at Minto cant even recall his name,from memory he worked out the back of an Auto Elec.they may also be able to point you.

Do some research look around and you soon see whos good and whos not..
Growing old is inevitable,Growing up is optional.!!!!!  66 Mustang Coupe.

Muzzy 66

• Rally Licence
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 10:28:56 PM »
Bit of digging,the guy who ran Lohning Bros passed away,one of his workers is now at at Consul Automotive in Peakhurst near Hurstville Gold course,from many forums he is widely liked and helpfull...

http://www.consulmotive.com.au/Website%20Pages/Company%20Profile.htm
Growing old is inevitable,Growing up is optional.!!!!!  66 Mustang Coupe.

Steve

• Speedster
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 11:27:56 PM »
would be interesting just for $hit and giggles just taking the car down to the local blue slip place ....does a 1970 car have to comply ??
I realise that its modified ...........:D

69DirtyRat

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 08:18:33 AM »
Nice ride!
Rta are strict about those door handles unfortunately! There case is that in case of an emergency you are unconsious and someone needs to get you out they need an exterior handle or button! Which in a way doesnt make sense because what if you have locked your door? and you are unconsious? they still couldnt get in!

ProBag, http://www.probag.com.au/ are down wollongong way - 10/8 Marshall St, Dapto New South Wales I'm sure they could fix the auto leveling?
1969 Corvette ZL-1 540ci 755hp
1972 Chevy Suburban 454ci
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Limo 390ci 325hp
www.ratpackmuscle.com

68PONY

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 01:03:50 PM »
Very cool ride robbie, you would have loved our harrys run on saturday night with that beast of yours , you will have to join us on a run when she arrives and is on road , hope it all goes smoothly for ya.
cheers chris

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333