Author Topic: Watch out for email Virus!  (Read 4731 times)

69DirtyRat

• Top Fuel Pilot
Watch out for email Virus!
« on: December 18, 2011, 11:33:24 AM »
Watch out for an email going around, i just caught a virus of one of my emails and it sent it sent the same message to everyone, it was from a club member so i thought it was ligit. it will be titled something likeā€¦ wow, good, amazing cool etc then when you open it it will say "click here to see photos/ video"  so dont click on it!!!!!
1969 Corvette ZL-1 540ci 755hp
1972 Chevy Suburban 454ci
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Limo 390ci 325hp
www.ratpackmuscle.com

Gene

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 11:47:45 AM »
Yep ....good thinking to post here - I'm one that clicked on the link but it came to me through someone else in the Club.......fortunately I don't have everyone on my list but for the members I do have ....sorry for the inconvenience and don't click the link.

69DirtyRat

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 12:12:12 PM »
How do the hackers get pleasure by doing this???? Mongrels
1969 Corvette ZL-1 540ci 755hp
1972 Chevy Suburban 454ci
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Limo 390ci 325hp
www.ratpackmuscle.com

peterp

• Administrator
  • Speedster
    • http://www.yourithelp.com.au
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 01:05:33 PM »
There will be a lot of attempts to get you to open emails that contain a virus over Christmas, so do be carefull.

If you get emails that have "re" in the header you should automatically be suspicious unless someone is replying to your email and you know them.

Also be carefull of messages that say "click here" think first, do I really want to know what it is.

Also beware of Microsoft attachements as they can contain a "Macro Virus" agian make sure you know who sent it and also think first, do I really want to know what it is.

Another thing to bear in mind is that institutions like BANKS and MICROSOFT don't send out emails to people asking them to click on links or wanting you to divulge personal information.

Other emails from PayPal and Ebay should also be treated with the utmost suspicion unless you have instigated the reply with a question, you should NEVER click on links in these emails, you should manually login to either your Ebay or Paypal account and check there.

Also bear in mind that your best friends computer can be hacked depending on their awareness to internet security, so don't trust your friends awareness trust your own common sense.

Anti Virus programs are good but freebies don't neccessarily remove an attachement that has a virus wheras a paid version usually will but a freebie is definately better than nothing at all.

peterp
You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape.

peterp

• Administrator
  • Speedster
    • http://www.yourithelp.com.au
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 01:10:50 PM »
Quote from: 69DirtyRat link=topic=4764.msg29701#msg29701
How do the hackers get pleasure by doing this???? Mongrels

C'mon Andy it's Christmas time for hackers as well.

There are many third world countries who would consider a days pay in this country six moths pay in theirs.

You also have the young budding hackers who are trying to gain experience or to just simply say to some people "look at me" because there are many institutions out there that would hire young people with those type of skills.

peterp
You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape.

LeighP

• Rally Licence
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 01:09:10 AM »
And watch out for the phone scams too....twice lately I've had someone of Indian sounding accent call my home number saying they're from "Window's Technical Department" and I need to follow their instructions on my computer or risk some unknown dire problem.
I just give them a mouthful telling them what I think of their BS and they hang up.
Regards,
Leigh
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333