Author Topic: Will the next Holden Commodore go front-wheel drive?  (Read 4333 times)

cpu

Will the next Holden Commodore go front-wheel drive?
« on: December 11, 2010, 01:58:41 PM »
Ok it's not American Muscle, but I'm sure a topic of interest. Come on, front wheel drive????????

[align=center]

[/align]

Since 1978, the Holden Commodore has been roaring across the land down under. It's worn a plethora of body styles ranging from coupe and sedan to wagon and ute, brought the Pontiac G8 to American soil and sold over 44,000 units last year in Australia. During its run, the Holden Commodore has been a rear-wheel drive vehicle, but new reports state that the front-engine/rear-drive layout may not be in the cards for much longer.

The next-generation Commodore is going to appear by 2015 and it's possible that General Motors may switch it to a front-wheel drive car. The goal is increased fuel-efficiency for GM's large cars and the front-wheel drive platforms are the ones set up to deliver the highest fuel efficiency.

The Holden Commodore could ride on the Super Epsilon II platform, which will also make its way into the next Chevrolet Impala and the upcoming Cadillac XTS. Sure, we understand why an automaker would look to make this change but it doesn't mean we have to like it. We prefer our Maltidas waltzing and our Commodores drifting.

LeighP

• Rally Licence
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 06:06:47 PM »
The Aussie market traditionally does not like full size FWD cars...you cannot tow a caravan or a boat with one safely.
But, given GM's "head in the sand" marketing and product philosphy, it'll probably happen.
Regards,
Leigh
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400

sell4u

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 07:57:02 PM »
the day commodore goes fwd is the day i stop supporting Holden and stop buying there cars - unless they import the camaro

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 10:20:21 AM »
The last new car I bought was in 1980 and I don't plan on buying one anytime soon, so...

Steve

• Speedster
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 11:37:16 AM »
well i guess with Ford going fwd it is only a matter of time before Holden does the same thing ,...how does the saying go ...........stupid is as stupid does !!!!
think i will keep my VT SS for a lot longer !

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333