Author Topic: penny bungers  (Read 2717 times)

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
penny bungers
« on: April 22, 2010, 11:21:00 AM »
When I was out driving the 'vert the other day, I noticed an unusual squeaky rattle.  

My girlfriend, Merrilyn was with me at the time and wanted to know how I heard the unusual squeaky rattle over all the other usual squeaky rattles.  I made the appropriate response.:coffee:

Anyway, I suspected the lower shock mount on the rear left and when I jacked up the car, I saw that I was correct.

It had come loose where it bolts to the axle housing.  I had a spare, so I thought I'd just remove and replace it.  It was really hard to get off, as the thread was damaged by the movement.  Then having removed it from the axle housing and then from bottom of the shock absorber, I notice that the excessive movement had stretched the rubber doughnut shaped bush in shock absorber.

Other than the stretching, the bush appeared to be undamaged, so I thought I'd use a short lenght of half inch heater hose to slide over the shock mount to take up the slack.  The I.D. of the hose was perfect, but the O.D. was a little too big for the shock bush to slide over.  My hi-tech solution was to take my trusty Swiss Army knife (made in Korea) and take a layer or two off the outside of the heater hose.

With a little silicone lube, it all went back together and again fits nice and snug.

That heater hose is handy stuff.    :smile:

sms777

• Rally Licence
  • Sponsor & The Mechanic
penny bungers
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 03:01:05 PM »
Do not let the guys at Pedders find out about it before you put a patent on that fix.
Very impressive.... do not you work at a place that sells brand new or repro Pontiac parts? :huh:

Phone 02 9793 3332
Biggles, The Flying Mechanic

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
penny bungers
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 06:12:07 PM »
Quote from: sms777 link=topic=3158.msg18630#msg18630
Do not let the guys at Pedders find out about it before you put a patent on that fix.
Very impressive.... do not you work at a place that sells brand new or repro Pontiac parts? :huh:

I worked at Ponti World in 1994 (I think - long time ago) and at Auto One for a short time after that, back when they still used to employ adults.  I'm a bus driver now - it's like driving Toyota's version of a Grand Ville.

CPU, if you want to add a bus to the banner, go ahead.:lol:  

cpu

penny bungers
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 07:46:52 PM »
Now why would you say that....  :smile:

heven67

• Rally Licence
penny bungers
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 08:18:01 PM »
Goes good in between the heater and the engine too!
[align=center]
BLING IS KING. Real muscle cars have 3 pedals  "Praise The Lowered"[/align]

twodogs

penny bungers
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 03:42:04 PM »
:fantastic:  stuff a penny bunger down the guts , seal the ends with brass welsh plugs ( drilling a hole for the fuse ) and duct tape
and glue the ends , hey presto    :zip:

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333