Author Topic: making an insurance claim...  (Read 4880 times)

Zoltan

• Speedster
  • Welcome
making an insurance claim...
« on: December 28, 2016, 10:10:04 AM »
Hello fellow enthusiasts - on boxing day, I went to Autobarn in Auburn and when I reversed my car out, someone backed into the rear right hand bumper of my Pontiac.  :cry:

Now the insurance company (NRMA Vintage, veteran, classic) say that technically we are both at fault...??!!! What a pile of sh#t. It will cost me $500 in excess to claim it. How the heck am I responsible for this cost??
"I have a duty of care when reversing, as does the other driver"... right, but I have no control over the other vehicle, so how the f**k can I be forking out money for an accident that is NOT MY FAULT...!

Steve

• Speedster
Re: making an insurance claim...
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 07:05:48 PM »
Unless you are lucky enough to have the person that reversed into you admit fault or have witnesses or have it on camera showing that you are not at fault sadly the insurance companies win :(

69 Eanie

• P Plater
  • I'm Back!
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 11:37:00 AM »
Yes, its a clause that the Insurance Companies use and  you accept 50% liability, UNLESS you can prove it! This recently happen to my wife, and the dick that reversed into her submitted his claim stating it wasn't his fault (although she was stationary). I fought with them and produced the evidence, once accepted, the other party was 100% liable, but it was like pulling teeth! I would contact Autobarn and ask them if they have any CCTV footage or speak with the other driver and get him to accept liability? Hope it works out...

Zoltan

• Speedster
  • Welcome
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 09:34:48 AM »
thanks 57' - I have contacted the store, they only release footage to the insurance company. As for the other party, I've sent a message, but no reply. I might try calling, but I'm just over it already... I think it's time to swallow the insurance pill and just get it fixed.

Bfit

• P Plater
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 03:49:52 PM »
You can apply to have access to
the footage , through the freedom of information act.
Bfit

69DirtyRat

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 11:38:11 AM »
Private business, I dont think u can Bfit? They own the footage, its like making u handing over dashcam footage, its your property. Its only government departments can be applied for 'Freedom of info'  :cheers:
1969 Corvette ZL-1 540ci 755hp
1972 Chevy Suburban 454ci
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Limo 390ci 325hp
www.ratpackmuscle.com

69 Eanie

• P Plater
  • I'm Back!
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 10:45:18 AM »
You should contact the store and speak to the manager, and see if they can view the footage to confirm the accident by day and time BEFORE it gets over written!! Surely they could email you the 10 second file, if not ask them to save it- if its worth while?? If not- I have a good panel beater that could help...fingers crossed

silverz

• Speedster
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 12:47:14 PM »
Hi Peter, sorry to hear about the damage to the Pontiac but Happy New Year to all anyway. When you decide to repair, I found Red Lion Smash repairs quite good. As you are aware they are walking distance to you on Davies Rd Padstow. They repainted my '82 Z28 Indy pace car then repaired my latest after I was rear ended by a taxi then again after the front was reversed into by a neighbour! (All Shannons). The guy to speak to is Craig Hemsworth 9773 7508 or 0407488932. He is good at sourcing bits but I don't know if he deals with NRMA? Cheers, Bob.

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333