Author Topic: Australia’s toughest hooning laws passed  (Read 8261 times)

usmusclecars

• Top Fuel Pilot
    • http://excosales.com.au
Australia’s toughest hooning laws passed
« on: April 17, 2013, 09:24:31 AM »
Media Statements
Minister for Police and Community Safety
The Honourable Jack Dempsey

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Australia’s toughest hooning laws passed

Queensland will now see serial hoons’ vehicles sold or crushed sooner after the Newman Government passed the country’s toughest anti-hooning penalties in last night.

The new penalties will see people committing two serious hooning offences have their car confiscated indefinitely as part of changes to the Police Powers and Responsibilities (Motor Vehicle Impoundment) and Other Legislation Amendment Bill 2012.

Police Minister Jack Dempsey said Queenslanders were fed up with dangerous hooning on public roads and wanted the brakes put on the perpetrators.

“Hooning such as racing and driving recklessly in the suburbs is not only socially unacceptable, it is outright dangerous and places the lives of all road users at risk,” Mr Dempsey said.

“In the past we have even seen hoons lose control of their vehicles before ploughing into yards and houses injuring and, in some cases, taking the lives of innocent people.

“The community and the Government were sick and tired of hoons and these new penalties will see their cars off the road for 90 days for the first offence, and confiscated and sold or crushed if they commit a second hooning offence within a five year period.”

The two strikes approach will apply to those committing Type 1 offences which include:
• Dangerous operation of a motor vehicle
• Racing and speed trials on roads
• Wilfully starting a motor vehicle or driving a motor vehicle in a way that makes unnecessary noise or smoke
• Evade police

Mr Dempsey said the new laws would address frustration in the community which, under the previous government, continued to see hoons back on the road even after multiple offences.

“Under Labor more than 92 per cent of vehicles previously impounded ended up back on the road,” he said.

“We are telling the people of Queensland that the police now have the legislative tools to truly put the brakes on hoons. If there’s a local hooning issue they should contact their local police station or the Hoon Hotline on 13HOON (13 4666).”

While the hooning laws have now been passed through State Parliament, they won’t come into effect for six months to allow sufficient time for logistics to be finalised and community education about the new penalties as requested by the Legal Affairs and Community Safety Committee.

[ENDS] 17 April 2013

Media Contacts: Danny Donald 0439 719 116 or Lea Emery 0417 226 114

Click Image For Our Website

Spokes

Re: Australia’s toughest hooning laws passed
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 04:32:44 PM »
no more club runs to Qlds :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

Steve

• Speedster
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 08:52:32 PM »
lets face it ,motorists are the worst criminals in Australia and the laws are starting to reflect that fact .........................................

77CVT

• P Plater
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 08:15:23 AM »
Sad indictment of this new government!  I can just see the liberties the police will take with this.   :thumbdown:

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 11:06:40 AM »
no more club runs to Qlds :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

Really, why??

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 11:07:44 AM »
Sad indictment of this new government!  I can just see the liberties the police will take with this.   :thumbdown:

As long as you don't drive like a d*ckhead, you won't have any problem.

Steve

• Speedster
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 10:30:42 PM »
As long as you don't drive like a d*ckhead, you won't have any problem.
Chris
was it not you that got fined for having a USA plate on your car ??????? there doesn't have to be a problem ......were you "Hooning" when you got that ticket ????

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 11:55:40 PM »
Chris
was it not you that got fined for having a USA plate on your car ??????? there doesn't have to be a problem ......were you "Hooning" when you got that ticket ????

I don't see the connection at any level.

77CVT

• P Plater
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 08:05:16 AM »
Steve, I've never had a USA plate on my car ......and I do not see the point of the comment.

And as for not driving like a d!ckhead, some cops have run people through the wringer for far less so I stand by my post.  It's the ambiguity of the law that concerns me - I agree with point 2 and 4 wholeheartedly!

Have a nice day.  :hi:

Steve

• Speedster
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 08:25:36 PM »
Steve, I've never had a USA plate on my car ......and I do not see the point of the comment.

And as for not driving like a d!ckhead, some cops have run people through the wringer for far less so I stand by my post.  It's the ambiguity of the law that concerns me - I agree with point 2 and 4 wholeheartedly!

Have a nice day.  :hi:
I agree with your comment also and the usa numberplate was simply an issue where Chris had the plate on the car for years yet one police officer took offence at it and booked chris whilst he was not really doing anything wrong ..
was simply a small example of what a police officer can do when he is motivated enough
however i am sick to death of seeing black marks on suburban streets  in any state i visit ...its like some weird disease and should be stamped out

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333