Author Topic: Peterson Museam Gets some cash..  (Read 3329 times)

ozpont

• Rally Licence
    • www.usgmsp.com
Peterson Museam Gets some cash..
« on: April 28, 2011, 10:25:11 PM »
    For those that have been to the VERY good World Class...Los Angles located Petersen Automotive Museum.. ...will appreciate that its ONE Museum thats', like the Henry Ford Museum in Detroit.. is  not just a display of old cars.. but an ever evolving education in time and motion.  Its the sort of place for thinkers, for young adults and older ones alike.. a must see for any car enthusiast, and now it looks like they will be displaying for a VERY long time.
   Out of interest... they also have the Holden Commodore Jim Wanger brought ex the Holdens Elizabeth plant after attending the Camaro-Firebird Nats in Narrandera..... Wangers  was so impressed with them.. that he exported one to the USA under his own steam & then presented freely to the USA press.. that ended up wakening USA GM to the Holden..and the start of the Monaro/ GTO exports - It's now part of Petersons lesser important cars.. but there also. )

Anyway.. this was in the US Press today....
Petersen Automotive Museum gets $100 million gift from founders

In one of the most generous acts of philanthropy ever bestowed on such an institution, the Petersen Automotive Museum has received a gift of $100 million from Margie Petersen and the Margie & Robert E. Petersen Foundation, virtually assuring the museum will stay open in perpetuity.

"We're just really, really ecstatic about Mrs. Petersen's generosity and her commitment to Mr. Petersen's memory," said Steven Young, chairman of the Petersen Automotive Museum Foundation's board of directors.

Robert E. Petersen founded a car-based publishing empire that started with Hot Rod magazine in 1948 and grew to include 36 monthly titles. He guided the formation of the museum that bears his name, from its opening in 1994 until his death in 2007 at age 80. The museum is one of several philanthropic passions of Petersen's widow, Margie Petersen. The couple was married in 1963.

While the donation does include "a substantial unrestricted financial gift," it is by no means all cash. There is a matching challenge that requires significant fundraising by the current museum board and management to continue. It also includes the one-block-square building and parking structure the museum has occupied under a generous lease since it opened, and an important collection of cars assembled by Robert Petersen during his lifetime, all as part of the museum's endowment.

"I am thrilled to make this gift which continues what Mr. Petersen and I began two decades ago--to build the most important automotive museum in the nation," said Margie Petersen. "My intent in doing this is to provide the museum with the necessary resources to continue to enhance its collections, curatorial expertise and exhibitions so that generations to come will be able to forever know the history of the automobile and its role in the evolution of our nation's transportation system."

The fact that it's located in the heart of hot-rod country is no coincidence.    "The sociological and cultural impact of the automobile, particularly in Southern California, is enormous," said Young. "The automobile's impact on our lifestyle, and Southern California's impact on the automobile, is huge. Detroit may be where they were made, but Southern California is where so many of the inspirations and great ideas came from. So it's really mutually beneficial."

While some deferred maintenance on the building will finally be taken care of, the first visual evidence to the public of the gift will be in "some exterior sprucing-up," said Young. Then the lower level of the facility, which is now used as a sort of ultracool parking garage known as the "Vault" that has housed some of the museum's great cars, will be converted to several other uses, including a research library for all things automotive.

The gift comes at a crucial time. The recession hit all businesses hard, but it was particularly difficult for 501(c)3s such as the Petersen museum.    Outside sources of income that had kept the museum going, such as parking fees for nearby businesses and event hosting, fell off after the recession. After Robert Petersen's death, there was no formal bequest to the museum. It was through the hard work of the board and management, in addition to the generosity of Margie Petersen, that the doors stayed open during that time (seeing 150,000 visitors a year). The gift announced on Tuesday assures the museum's future.

"I am fulfilling a vision that Mr. Petersen and I shared and planned to do someday. I am so happy that this day has come and that I can launch the museum into a new era of growth and expansion. While I expect the resources of the museum to be available to the world, this gift is especially designed to the benefit of the Los Angeles community where we made our lives together," Margie Petersen said.

Muzzy 66

• Rally Licence
Peterson Museam Gets some cash..
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 11:20:07 PM »
Its on my must do list when we go to the States..
Growing old is inevitable,Growing up is optional.!!!!!  66 Mustang Coupe.

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333