Author Topic: customs watching...  (Read 4968 times)

roadhound

customs watching...
« on: January 04, 2011, 09:16:17 PM »
As most have seen certain  huge retailers want
onliners to pay gst on purchased goods overseas,
car parts, cameras just about everything one buys.
cheaper across the world.Another slap in the face
for just doing it better and cheaper..what do you think
isnt there a gst on old imported cars already?

lazy69

customs watching...
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 10:24:40 PM »
I heard Gerry Harvey on the radio whinging about a fair go, if people are shopping overseas because it is cheaper then maybe he should drop his prices to compete. If I buy parts from the states I pay US taxes & it is still cheaper

roadhound

customs watching...
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 07:46:05 AM »
:exact:they sell us the tools(computers) then want to tell
us how to use them; so why do we need this national
broadband to check our mail and click on their sites

68PONY

customs watching...
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 08:44:37 PM »
Don't forget with the strong aussie dollar the retailers are getting there stock cheaper aswell so how about they pass it on then maybe we would shop here.

65muzzy

customs watching...
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 09:40:54 PM »
I'm looking at getting a karcher from overseas.  It is $300 cheaper even tho delivery is $62.  Can't understand how something traveling half way round the world could still be cheaper.  It still stimulates the economy as couriers, customs etc are busier.  Maybe the retailers can be less greedy and drop their prices.  

rattusrex

customs watching...
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 09:45:56 PM »
Spare a thought for poor old Gerry, he's probably down to his last $500 million. Lol Eddie

roadhound

customs watching...
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 10:39:43 AM »
Bet  it was as he says it was suicidal to to keep
campaining,you betcha.Its cost him my business.
Now this topic can fly away as it should,tx for everybodies
input and "happy online shopping and good fortunes!!!!"

peterp

• Administrator
  • Speedster
    • http://www.yourithelp.com.au
customs watching...
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 01:07:54 PM »
Poor Gerry,
                 He has had a field day buying overseas and then marking up his items by 400 % and then on selling to us the consumers.

Where it will hit him the hardest is on his financial packages that charge exhorbitant interest rates when he sells his mid to large ticket items.

From what I read on the eBay forums he is already setting up an online shopping website in China as is Myers.

peterp
You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape.

ozpont

• Rally Licence
    • www.usgmsp.com
customs watching...
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 02:40:30 PM »
My Opinion of the argument above is ALL IMPORTS, both private AND commercial.. should have a $1000 Import Duty AND GST free start... .. simple.. first $1,000 .. who cares.. after that.. same for everybody, most business's don't import less the $1.000 anyway..and its not just the Harvey Normans & Coles but the little business that get screwed to the wall with the cost of official clearances worth hundreds more then the tax collected...... That would stop the whinging..... and that's for Sea, Air or returning holiday makers.. and boat people too...!!

BUT more to the point.. figure this might be of interest....

Maybe this TNT/  freight handlers update released today has something to do with it.. also might be a quiet warning to those doing bodgy invoices .. don't...

Customs Intervention on Low Value Goods into Australia
(Goods with a value of less than AUD$1000)

Dear valued customer,

Please see below important information regarding changes relevant to businesses dealing in International Trade.

As you may be aware, Australia has one of the highest Low Value thresholds globally and as such the Australian Customs and Border Protection Service has advised that there will be an increased intervention in the profiling of Low Value Consignments that come into Australia. This will result in an increase in the number of low value goods experiencing delayed delivery.

TNT will attempt to assist the smooth delivery of our customers Low Value shipments by providing the Australian Customs Authorities with the required documentation electronically.

Where the Australian Border and Customs Protection Service do not accept the provided documentation, then the receiver /shipper will need to supply Commercial Documentation or "Evidence of Monies Price Paid (EMPP)". This is categorised as:
•     Commercial Documents
•     Commercial Tax Invoices
•     Contracts of Sale
•     Purchase Orders
•     Illustrative Descriptive Material (IDM) may also be required
•     Third party financial institution transaction record
•     Where no transfer of funds an email between shipper / receiver confirming transition and values.

The provision of correct, complete and legible paperwork and sufficient consignment labelling, will assist in clearing Low Value consignments in the first instance.

TNT has been advised that whilst customs have seconded additional staff to address this activity, they are still experiencing delays in clearing goods.

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333