Tech Talk & Articles > Fords

later ford..

(1/4) > >>

mike.biggs:
Hi guys,

I'm just new here on the site, but wanting to get your obvious educated feedback :drink:

I'm wanting to start my first serious muscle car project, and it has to be a Ford, but having trouble working out what I really want to base it on. Sounds silly I know.

I'd love an XR-XY series Falcon/Fairmont, even XA-XC but the prices of these have gone through the roof. Looking over 10k for something pretty ordinary to start with. Seen some decent Stangs about, but how do you go getting parts for them?

I'm wanting it to end up neat and tidy, not a show car, and not a serious track car. I'm handy with a welder, mechanicals, and paint, so after a doer-upperer, but not a rust bucket. After owning a few German "muscle cars", I'm chasing something really clean and primarily simple. Race seats, harnesses, digital dash, crate motor, 8-track...not much else.

I havent made my mind up on 2 or 4 door, 2 door would be great, but seem 2-4x the price. I'll know it when I see it :bow:

Some models are bargains because they are less desirable or collectable. Any ideas what models I should be looking out for? Anyone seen anything going cheap thats worth a look?

Thanks fellas. Hope to be around here more often :coffee:

Kroooozer:
If you want to stick with Ford you can get a Mustang coupe driver at reasonable price...even look at early Thunderbirds as they can be found cheap.......these can be around the $15k mark upwards...by the way whats a German muscle car?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ford-Mustang-1967-/250693085036?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item3a5e78e76c

bonnevista:
Mike, first up, I'm not a Ford guy, but I've been in the American car hobby for 29 years.

In my view, fixing up a Mustang would be 100 times easier than fixing up an Aussie Ford.

You could probably build a mid sixties Mustang from all 2010 parts.  They make EVERYTHING for them and I mean everything.  

Having said that, you won't, of course, be able to go to SuperCheap or Auto One for most stuff, but there's a number of parts suppliers in Australia that deal with Mustangs and from what I'm told, they generally keep a lot of stuff in stock, so it's not like you'll have to wait for parts.  Further to that, there are also a number of suspension and steering upgrades that will drag a Mustang into the 21st century from the driving point of view.

It's just a matter of having a look around and seeing what appeals to you.  

By the way, did I mention that I'm not a Ford guy?? :smile:

her69:

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum:drink:

I am at present having a full resto done on my '69 Mustang Convertable.
I am able to get any parts I require at Sydney Mustang Parts at Carlton 9546 4646. They are also our club sponsor so I like to support them.
I agree with bonnavista about the Mustang being the easiest car to build.
Good luck with your project car.

Cheers Maureen

mike.biggs:
Firstly, thanks everyone for your feedback, love your cars by the way.

I had looked at a nice 64 T-Bird, complete with the original 390, and in the light metallic blue, was under $15k and although its definitely a nice car, just wasnt quite what I was after. Make very nice cruiser though.

Looks like I'll keep my eyes out for a decent Mustang.  The idea of being able to get parts locally, and even interstate is great. And knowing there are decent upgrades around is pleasing to hear...plus I've always been partial to a nice Stang.

And Kroooozer, by German "Muscle car" I'm referring to an old Mercedes 450SEL with the 6.9 V8, some head work and headers, made enough power to wind off the speedo, and felt smooth while doing it. Had nice paint and some widened original chrome wheels and hubcaps. Nice old beast. I currently drive an '96 Audi A8 Quattro. Runs a 4.2 V8 with some basic mods, makes 400hp, all-wheel drive, aluminium body, Bilstein and Eibach suspension. Tops out just over 300km/h, and gives most sport V8s a run for their money ...guess that can be considered muscle in some books :) ...but after waiting 12weeks to get a new diff crown wheel after I broke it...I'm over the lack of support, recognition ("an Audi whaatt?") and knowledge of these type cars in Australia, and I'm an Audi/VW mechanic by trade. Did up my EF Fairmont from parts at Repco and off eBay and it was a dream to do. Friend of the family has a genuine XA GT Coupe, XY GT, and doing up an early Mainline...so if I get a Ford I'm bound to get some pointers and help from him :)

Thanks for the number Maureen, I'll be sure to get in contact once I have some metal in the drive way :)

Thanks again guys, and gal

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version