Tech Talk & Articles > Fords

My car wont start

(1/4) > >>

stanglover:
So any suggestions why it won't tick over?
:coffee:
Battery is fine, there's petrol, oil and water.....lol.
It normally takes a few goes before it kicks over but yesterday it just didn't want to.
I don't think I flooded it, cause even if I did, I left it for a couple of hours went to start it again and same problem.

65pony:
have you got a spark?? also is there fuel going into the carby?? could be a clogged up fuel filter.

I'm sure there are alot of people on here that will know more than me. DR SMS will be able to help ya!

stanglover:
It's weird cause it initially started, drove it out the garage, switched it off, washed it, an hour later went to start it back up and it cranks, has fuel, but just won't start.

sms777:
O.K. Bas, here i am. What did you exactly wash, did you also wash the engine bay?  If you did you may have got water inside the distributor cap. Have a look inside just in case.
If you have detailed your engine bay you may have accidentally dislodged a connection to your coil or dissy. I have a feeling you have got no spark because of these reasons so check it first.
The easiest way to check spark is to remove one of your ignition leads and get another spark plug (any spark plug will do as long as it is clean), push it in to the end of the lead that you have just removed, lay it on top of the intake manifold ( make sure it is firmly on something metal so it gets earth) than get someone to crank the engine while you are watching the plug see if it sparks.
You will find your problem right away.
Let me know how you went.
My mobile number is 0419 757 757 if no success.
Cheers, Chris.      

stanglover:
Hello Dr. sms!

No I didn't wash the car with water, just went over it with a spray and wipe.
Engine bay: all I did was spray a little of windex on top of the air cleaner and a wipe to give a shine :coffee:
I must tell you that ever since I had the cam changed it's been difficult to start initially. It always takes a few cranks before it kicks over.
Anyhow, with the limited space in the garage I don't have many tools and definately no spare spark plug laying around.....I'll have to fetch a new one to try.
Thanks Dr, I'll give that a go and let you know.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version