Author Topic: filters  (Read 7413 times)

usa383

filters
« on: July 31, 2010, 12:40:40 AM »
Fitted a Sakura oil filter to the vette today.
Filled the sump with Amsoil and started the engine ,all was going fine so I backed the car off the ramps and all of a sudden I noticed I had no oil pressure.Switched the engine straight off and jumped out of the car to notice about 3 litres of oil underneath the car.
The oil filter had fallen off.
I called myself all the names under the sun for not putting it on properly then wiped off the filter and fitted it again making sure every thing was correct, topped up the oil, started the engine, idled nicely then I gave it a small rev, oil pressure went to 70psi then 0,the bloody thing fell off again.
Now I have a ryco on there everything is ok for now until the Amsoil filter arrives.
I went to a different shop to get the ryco filter and noticed a Sakura filter behind the counter and told the bloke this story and he said "thats funny because this one is a return because it didn't fit correctly and was leaking oil"
Make up you're own minds but I WONT EVER USE THEM AGAIN.
Cheers Dave

sms777

• Rally Licence
  • Sponsor & The Mechanic
filters
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 01:51:22 PM »
Honestly, why would you bypass a Ryco or Cooper filter. I had my own bad luck with Sakura filters years ago so i would not touch them with a six foot pole.
For a Chev there is always AC Delco available from your local Holden dealer.

Phone 02 9793 3332
Biggles, The Flying Mechanic

LeighP

• Rally Licence
filters
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 02:46:16 PM »
Ryco or AC Delco please.....
One of our members had a complete strip down and rebuild when a "so called" performance Penzoil filter literally exploded internally and filled his engine with paper filter material.
There are some seriously crap oil filters out there in the market place.
Regards,
Leigh
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400

PAP

filters
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 04:59:12 PM »
I run with the System 1 re-usable oil filter,it has a stainless steal inner and a hard case alloy outer which you washout when you do your oil change.
The good thing is that you can see whats going on in there if there are any problems, they don't come cheap but its one less thing that you would not have to buy. I'm very happy with mine.
 (just my two cents)

Cheers

ozpont

• Rally Licence
    • www.usgmsp.com
filters
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 05:16:49 PM »
    The  GM Delco USA filter is only maybe ... A $11 from memory.. .. Far cheaper then any genuine service part you could seriously buy for the car...  for that reason we NEVER supply oil filter interchanges.. and don't want to know about them.... just not worth  stuffing up a good blokes engine.  And just while on the subject..genuine ones that fit.. can come in a few sizes to help with restricted access/space etc.  I also have a filter magnet on the Turbo TA's filter to help keep any micro-grit trapped in the filter.

usa383

filters
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 05:17:25 PM »
I only used the filter because I'm in the sticks and my brother inlaw[engine builder] was coming down to adjust the rockers,carby etc and it was the only filter available at the time.[I had an Amsoil filter coming]
So I thought it would be ok for the 10 minutes or so we needed to run the car.

Thanks Pap,I have seen those filter advertised but have never known anyone that's used them.I agree definately the way to go if they are as good as they say.

sms777

• Rally Licence
  • Sponsor & The Mechanic
filters
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 05:59:03 PM »
System 1 filters are good. They are made for serious competition engines or street machines that see more time on the track than on the street. They are also expensive and time consuming and messy to clean. Disposable filters are made for convenience because...they are disposable and can be used for a serious performance street car with reliability.
So... it's your choice.    

Phone 02 9793 3332
Biggles, The Flying Mechanic

heven67

• Rally Licence
filters
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 07:17:26 PM »
I use Baldwin filters, we tested one at work and pressurised it to 1500 lbs before the seam came undone. The ryso sorry ryco we tested only got to 600 and it split.
[align=center]
BLING IS KING. Real muscle cars have 3 pedals  "Praise The Lowered"[/align]

lazy69

filters
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 07:49:18 PM »
You must have a serious oil pump Hev if 600 lbs isn't enough.

chris67

• P Plater
filters
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 08:12:45 PM »
i use a professional products oil filter same as system 1 filter reusable, and high filtering with a magnet inside to catch the fine metal elements
Rev It Loud, Drive It Proud!  

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333