Author Topic: Petition against changes to Modified Vehicle laws NSW  (Read 15866 times)

rattusrex

Petition against changes to Modified Vehicle laws NSW
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2010, 09:05:58 PM »
Quote from: heven67 link=topic=3437.msg21072#msg21072
All I know is Im going hell for leather to get my Effiy finished cause the way I understand it the "do gooders" will be stuffing it for everyone whom hasnt got full rego, but the lighter side is, it looks good when you wanna sell.
+1

69DirtyRat

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2010, 10:04:15 PM »
Quote from: 69vette link=topic=3437.msg21071#msg21071

NSW Law and Regulation as I understand
My opinion only.
Three ways for regulation.
Legislation which can include standards if the standard is legislated
as not all standards are law.
A Ministerial directive.
Or a code of practice which is usually dealt with by a Government department. It appears this Modification of Vehicles change is a code of practice. Codes of practice usually come up for review every few years and the results of the changes to the code are not for public comment unless the department wants comment.
Once the changes to the code are completed it is sent to the appropriate Minister to sign off for the Code to become law.
In other words the Minister is the one to say whether the changes are to be law or require further ammendments.
It could be assumed a Minister could sign off on numerous reviewed Codes of Practice in one year some rather insignifcantly affecting our daily lives others not so.
Viewing the completed changes to the Code in it,s entirtey before submission to the Minister before signing and forming  opinions of concern to the changes is the most difficult part.
Even then the Code can be sent back for further review if the Minister has concerns via public inference and then resubmitted before you know it.
I guess it all depends on whether the reviewer can see reason and is sympathetic to public concerns to the justification of the propsed changes.
Hope I,m on the right track.

Stuart

Thats why as soon as we find out whats going on we need to write to to our local members asap and flood them with letters of protest! the more we write the more chance we have of rectifying this crap!
1969 Corvette ZL-1 540ci 755hp
1972 Chevy Suburban 454ci
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Limo 390ci 325hp
www.ratpackmuscle.com

Muzzy 66

• Rally Licence
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2010, 05:59:54 PM »
Hi All,
Just rang to confirm this meeting is still on & it is.
I was planning on going but work both saturday and sunday has put a holt to my w/end.
Is anyone able to go and come back with some info on whats planned.

It is at 10am at the Regency Ramblers Club House.

Cheers

Luke
Growing old is inevitable,Growing up is optional.!!!!!  66 Mustang Coupe.

MuscleVette

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2010, 06:04:36 PM »
I will have all the info emailed to me

:seeya: Garry :hangloose:
Past And Present Cars

69DirtyRat

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2010, 09:11:09 PM »
I might go and have a look? Is anyone one else thinkin of going?
www.ratpackmuscle.com

GAS455

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2010, 03:33:40 PM »
Did anyone go to this meeting??

A mate went to the meeting out at Badgerys Creek where the ASRF held a public meeting about what they have been trying to negotiate with the RTA and the changes they want to bring in and from what we were told, it’s not good… Not good at all! Apparently that taking to the RTA for inspection before a pink slip was a myth, thank god!!!!!!

Basically, every state except for NSW is going to be adopting the National Code of Practice VSB14 (http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/vsb_ncop.aspx) rules to be their new “Modified Production” and “ICV” guidelines for vehicles that being built for full/restricted regos but NSW RTA, in true typical style, is rejecting the NCOP because it’s too lenient and are going off on their own tangent. Apparently in a month or 2 they are going to be releasing their new Modified Production & ICV revised documents for public comment and looking to implement next year. It’s apparently been 8 years in the works.

Engineers – Apparently around February, every engineer is required to enroll in the new format of signatories and have the uni degrees and paperwork that the RTA want, and the RTA is definitely selecting who they want – apparently they are targeting the more uni graduate who can tell you the tensile strength of a steel plate but has no clue about cars. They expect that the majority of who is on the list right now will not bother updating either. The changes sound very tough for what Engineers need to do/test and reckon that basically a report will cost 3x as much as there is now 3x more work. Also engineers will be required submit their copy of your report to the RTA themselves and no more than 2 weeks after you received your papers and rego your car otherwise the RTA has grounds to have your car inspected and/or engineer papers disqualified. Also Engineers are required to keep identical copies of engineer reports on file and will be audited at any time and should they not have your individual paperwork on file then and there, your papers are again subject for disqualification… This is for the new method coming in next year and not current reports.

Another thing they were talking about is VSI50 – raising and lowering vehicles 50mm or more. If the ride height is not documented on your report the car will be applicable to whatever ride height it came out as standard. The measurement is taken from centre axle to the lip of the guard – They call it “Trim Height”. Apparently if the height is included on the report you’re covered, something along the lines of “At the time of inspection the vehicle trim heights measured 123mm on the front axles and 456mm on the rear axles”. Also if a vehicle height has been altered higher or lower and is more than 150mm, your car will not be registered apparently. Who knows what they are going to do with the re-bodied hotrods on HQ chassis etc.

The meeting finished off with a – if anyone is building cars or halfway through getting them engineered, get them finished off right now and registered!!!

All in all, the ASRF is trying to get the RTA to see some sense in pre-49 cars but 49 onward, we’re going to be severely stuffed by the sounds! And it’s only in NSW!!! One comment that one of the car fabricators who is on the ASRF committee and you’ll laugh at this – “The head guy of the RTA said to us in a meeting over VSB14 and the NSRG papers, that if it were up to him there would be absolutely no modified cars on the streets of NSW”…..

69DirtyRat

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2010, 10:35:14 PM »
If it goes out to public comment , can we do something about it when it comes out? Again we need to get some sort of protest/concerned letter to our politicians before its to late!
www.ratpackmuscle.com

GAS455

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2010, 10:53:02 PM »
Did anyone go to the meeting?

I didn't...It was a message from a mate.

I think we all need to get together as a car community...from 4cly and rotaries to the V8's and muscle cars.....  Stand together as one and have a proper voice.
I have written to my local member...... We all need to do the same.

Muzzy 66

• Rally Licence
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2010, 09:46:38 PM »
Info regarding the outcome of this meeting has been a bit light on,Found a little bit on ozrodders that enlightens us of the days events a little...Appears there is much discussion and organisation still required,needles to say there are some very unhappy rodders outt here and the wider car enthusiast should be concerned.

Below are some posts from the forum,with a link for the forum..

Re: Registration info day
by JohnL on Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:44 am

I've seen a couple of posts asking for info on how this meeting went, so this is my 2 cents' worth. I've posted it in Elvis' original thread so that he'll get an email notification and may respond to clarify anything that I've misinterpreted.

Firstly, Elvis, Kim, Dave and the other (and earlier) ASRF luminaries who've been working on this street rod rego project for decades deserve a medal. We can register rods at present because of their past efforts. The fear that this would no longer be the case brought together maybe a couple of hundred (?) rodders for an update. The vast majority were really glad of the chance to hear what the ASRF committee was up to with the RTA but there were a few who seemed to have strong frustrations with the process but no strategy for resolving the looming problems. The discussion became bogged down several times with Elvis having to answer the same question again and again- the bloke sitting next to me had to plead for us to move on a couple of times- the meeting took about 3 hours when the info could have been downloaded in more like an hour.

As I understand it, the issue is that the RTA wants to change the NSW rego system so that the Modified Production rules that we register street rods under no longer apply. It seems they'll want all street rods to be treated as individually constructed vehicles (ICVs) and subjected to the continuing stream of ADR changes this causes. For most rodders, that would mean "club rego" would be their only option because the ICV rules are much tougher than the MP rules we have now.

This appears to be where there is some controversy among rodders and Elvis appeared to get some criticism on the basis that negotiating about applying the National Street Rod Guidelines (NSRGs) was motivating the RTA to withdraw the MP rules. The proponents of this theory didn’t seem to have much support, and they obviously don’t understand that it’s what bureaucrats do for a living that guarantees the MP rules won’t stay set in concrete. Apparently one of the key RTA officials involved with the process had said, “If I had my way, there'd be no modified cars on the road.” The strategy of Elvis’ opponents seems to be “let’s ask for a halt on changes to the MP rules”- these guys obviously aren’t professional lobbyists.

I had heard that the rules were going to be changed by this December, but I think Elvis said the RTA was going to release a draft paper on their proposed changes in February.

As I understand it, the ASRF’s strategy is to push for the RTA to accept the National Light Vehicle Modification VSB 14 guidelines which include the NSRGs. The advantage of this is that you get a nationally consistent registration system, and that rodders can use new repro chassis without lying about their authenticity as original rails and crossmembers. This has got to be a huge benefit, but the RTA is pushing back on this- I think Elvis said it’s not so much because they don’t like the NSRGs, but because of the wider scope of VSB14.

According to Elvis, the attitude of the RTA is that rodders have an advantage that no-one else has and there should be a level playing field for modified vehicles so that Cobras (ICVs) and rods meet the same rules- “why should the blue car have easier registration requirements than the red car?” is their position. The point that Elvis made and needs to be constantly promoted by rodders is that the ICVs are for “individual” vehicles, where the NSRGs are for “ASRF-community vehicles” modifications- modified original pre-‘49 cars and replicas of them. Apparently Mark Saunders has done a valuable paper on the risk management aspects of allowing ASRF cars to have a set of rules of their own.

The only thing that I couldn't see being done is an approach to the Minister's office directly instead of to the bureaucrats only. The politicians are actually more important than the regulators sometimes .
This meeting reminded me how valuable the ASRF is and how futile it is for the odd rodder with an outlaw mentality to think it’s feasible to make your own rules up in opposition to a government bureaucracy. The ASRF has been very persistent in keeping this registration system viable over the years by working with the bureaucrats. I’ve got to do something about joining .

What I took home from this:
1) The MP rules are going to be made harder if the RTA bureaucrats get their way.
2) An RTA consultation paper is due for release in February 2011.
3) The ASRF strategy is to try to negotiate the application of the NSRGs to NSW rego for pre-49 cars.
4) Efforts are being made to gather support from a wide range of private motoring enthusiasts’ groups in a roundtable type group to increase lobbying power.

So thanks again Elvis, Kim, Dave and others. And to the Regency Ramblers for their hospitality and BBQ breakfast!

NEXT...

by '26bits on Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:46 am

Thanks for the very succinct report John L.
I was there and was pleasantly surprised by the mostly positive meeting and the eye opening on just what it is that the ASRF are doing in this ongoing saga with the RTA.
I think it was Elvis who stated that at the start of all this negotiation there were 102 different motoring groups affected by the Modified Production rules and now there are only 2 who stuck to their guns and are getting vehicles registered......... Trikes and Street Rods!

Anyone who is professionaly involved in this industry (Modified Vehicles) and is not a member of AAAA, or the aftermarket assoc., should seriously consider joining as it will add to the numbers of affected businesses and livelyhoods and directly affects lobying power. The AAAA acts in a similar fasion to SEMA in the US and is affiliated with SEMA and the ASRF have been affiliated with AAAA for the past twelve months.
The same goes for ASRF membership. How many Voters are miffed is what makes a polly sit up and take notice and they judge that by electorates which average out at approximately 42,000 voters. The amalgamation with other motoring groups should add up to something like a 750,000 headcount of voters. All of this is in the early stages and IMHO should have happened years ago, but better late than never.

This brought the meeting to the sending of the petition most of us signed. Tirns out not to have been such a good idea, mainly because of the comment facility.
The minister received the petition with 5000 signatures and I don't know how many comments were included, but there were 32 derogitory remarks of varying degrees.
The minister asked the RTA "please explain" and the RTA inturn asked KIm Featherstone "WTF is this"? He couldn't and was red faced to say the least. Kim went on to explain that this action could have jeopodised all of the years of negotiations between the ASRF and the RTA. The RTA were miffed at the fact that the subject of meetings held between the two bodies in confidence, had become widespread public knowledge.
In hindsight, maybe we should be a little bit more diligent by asking questions of the ASRF commitee before such a thing happens again.

I was glad that I went.

NEXT..

by JohnL on Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:09 pm

deuce1932 wrote:

...shoot me down if you may but it's my simpleton opinon

I said earlier in this post that we need legal representation now... some said "as a last resort".. but when will that last resort be.. were cutting it fine guys.
Give me an ASRF account number & I'll write a cheque now for my part.

I feel your pain- I have a '38 Ford ute project that won't be finished before February. But your "let's write a cheque for a lawyer" strategy sounds futile- what is the appeal mechanism you're planning to use? The state government can write any regulations they please and your only grounds (in NSW) for complaint IMHO is that they're not applying them with administrative fairness. Hang on, rodders already have better treatment than ICVs, doesn't that mean to be administratively fair they've got to treat the "blue car the same as the red car?"

krusty wrote:
i strongly agree with duece1932 on the fact that we need to get some bigger balls and hit these censored aers as hard as we can , lets give them everything we have
Go ahead and chest off at the bureaucrats Shane, but how is this likely to be effective in getting rods registered in future?

I understand why rodders are upset, but I don't have any patience with futile non-strategies.

The only strategy I've seen with any appeal is the ASRF's push for national guidelines to be applied, while NSW wants to write its own regs. The federal Office of Best Practice Regulation's has a role ensuring that the states can justify "boutique" regs. Maybe the OBPR might require a regulatory impact statement of the RTA.

from http://www.finance.gov.au/obpr/proposal ... dance.html:

"Is a RIS Required?
The OBPR is required to assess whether a proposal triggers the need to prepare a Regulation Impact Statement (RIS). To allow the OBPR to assess if a proposal requires a RIS, departments and agencies should contact the OBPR once the administrative decision is made that regulation may be necessary, but before a policy decision is made, and provide the following information:

•Name of the Agency / Department
•Name of the Proposal
•A description of the proposal detailing:
◦the nature of the proposal
◦the intent of the proposal
◦whether the proposal is likely to impact on business or not-for-profit organisations,
either directly or indirectly
◦the nature of the impacts – whether the proposal restricts the activities of certain
businesses or whether it acts more indirectly, and
◦the size of the likely impacts– how many businesses will be affected and whether there
will be effects on the community more broadly.
At this stage, the information you provide to the OBPR does not need to be particularly detailed; it just needs to allow the OBPR officer to make an accurate assessment about the likely impacts of the proposal.

In general terms, the more the proposed regulation impacts on business operations, and the greater the number of businesses or not-for-profit organisations that will be affected, the more likely it is that a RIS will be required"

LINK TO THE FORUM...
For anyone wanting to read more.

http://www.ozrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38040&start=15

Hoorroo

Luke

Growing old is inevitable,Growing up is optional.!!!!!  66 Mustang Coupe.

69DirtyRat

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2010, 09:12:15 PM »
What is the AAAA? and can we lobby the OBPR? or is that only for government departments?
www.ratpackmuscle.com

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333