Author Topic: Waaaaaaaay off topic.  (Read 6364 times)

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
Waaaaaaaay off topic.
« on: December 09, 2009, 10:26:42 PM »
This is a long way off topic for a car enthusiast web site, but I'm pretty darn excited.

Those of you that know me, know that I'm barely 5'9" on a good day, but I have a background in the game of basketball.  As a youngster, I made a couple of state teams (NSW), won a national championship and was lucky enough to play in the USA for a short time.  Anyway, enough about me.

We just found out today that my 16 year old son (he's 17 on the 10th of December) just made NSW Under 20's.  

Unlike me, he's a tad over 6'6", blonde and runs like a gazelle (I don't mean he runs on all fours, just that he's fast).

This selection puts him into the top 80 ranked players in Australia in his age group and as junior basketball goes up in 2 year increments, he's elegible to play for the same team again next year.  He's the youngest player on the team by some months.

His next step is the national U/20's championships in Adelaide next February.  

Yes, I'm going to watch and yes, I'm driving the barge, via the Great Ocean Road.  I should be nice and sunburnt by the time I get there.  

I'll also need to upgrade my video camera as it's an opportunity to get footage of him, as ultimately we're going to try to get him to an American university on an athletic scholarship, but that's in the future, as he's still got year 12 to go next year.

It's a great achievement, and we're all proud.

69DirtyRat

• Top Fuel Pilot
Waaaaaaaay off topic.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 10:38:57 PM »
waaaaaaaaaay2go!!!!!
1969 Corvette ZL-1 540ci 755hp
1972 Chevy Suburban 454ci
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Limo 390ci 325hp
www.ratpackmuscle.com

GT SALLY

Waaaaaaaay off topic.
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 10:46:02 PM »
Any ozzie making it BIG or even making it OS in any sport or career is great. Congrats.
I was proud of my son years ago when he swam every event in the school swimming carnival & made it to the zone swimming team in one event coz he had no competition. Now I need a barge to keep him afloat, (takes after d 'ol man). Well done "bonnevista JNR"

joe74ta

• Top Fuel Pilot
Waaaaaaaay off topic.
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 10:48:08 PM »
good stuff all the best:fingers:

Bumblebee

Waaaaaaaay off topic.
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 09:16:09 AM »
That's truly awesome!  Really hope he enjoys the journey and reaches great success. :smile:

stanglover

Waaaaaaaay off topic.
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 10:17:33 AM »
What a great connection you and ur son would have, sharing the same passion!!
Goodonya and Him for makin it!

I'm still trying to find a passion other than the Stang to connect with my 5yr old!..lol.

MuscleVette

• Top Fuel Pilot
Waaaaaaaay off topic.
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 03:01:12 PM »
Congratulations Chris I know how proud you are of your son well done.
  :seeya: Garry :spaghetti::drink:
Past And Present Cars

roadhound

Waaaaaaaay off topic.
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 03:25:30 PM »
congratulations, on sons achievements.

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
Waaaaaaaay off topic.
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 06:12:46 PM »
Well, there's been a further development.

We've just had a tentative offer from a high school in Puget Sound, Washington for Jordan (we didn't name him after Michael Jordan) to attend and be part of their baskeball program.

The contact was made through the local National Basketall League team we have here in Wollongong, the Hawks.  Jordan has been training with them in school holidays for the past 18 months and one of the Hawks assistant coaches knows the coach of the high school team in the US.

Nothing in concrete yet, but who knows.

Bumblebee

Waaaaaaaay off topic.
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 10:02:23 PM »
No matter what, it would be an incredible life experience! He should go for it as long as it's a safe place to live.  

Good luck!

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333