Author Topic: Choices: Nissan GT-R or Ford Mustang GT500?  (Read 3250 times)

cpu

Choices: Nissan GT-R or Ford Mustang GT500?
« on: November 20, 2009, 12:48:46 PM »
[align=center]

Jonny Lieberman from autoblog.com writes.........

"A few months back we were lucky enough to roll around in a 2010 Nissan GT-R. On our way up to a pre-burnt Angeles Crest Highway for the now infamous flip-flop-gate photoshoot, yours truly began explaining to our intrepid photographer Drew Phillips just exactly how Nissan's latest and greatest is faster than a speeding Gallardo, more powerful than a F430 and able to leap tall canyon roads without breaking a sweat. And on and on and on. When I finally shut up, Drew asked me, "Would you take a GT-R over a GT500?" Whoa...

I couldn't say "yes." In many ways, the new 2010 Shelby GT500 is the yang to the GT-R's yin. The Nissan represents a highly specialized, bespoke car, while the Shelby represents the proud American tradition of stuffing a bigger motor into an existing chassis. Aside from interior bits (like the start button) there are very few pieces Godzilla shares with other, lesser Nissans. Under the Shelby sits a V6 Hertz rent-a-special waiting to happen.

In terms of practicality, the Nissan can run around town in full auto mode while the Shelby has a bigger back seat (snore, on both points). Godzilla represents the future, while the GT500 is a much improved (maybe idealized?) version of the past. One has a sophisticated, hand built, super-computerized twin-turbo all-aluminum V6 hooked up to a paddle-shifted dual-clutch transmission feeding all four wheels. The other features a supercharger bolted on to an old iron truck motor driving the rear wheels via three pedals and six-speed manual. The Nissan has a sophisticated suspension system that can adjust itself a zillion times a nanosecond (or whatever) and the Shelby has a solid rear axle. However, both cars pack underrated motors that make more power than they advertise. And while the 2010 Shelby GT500 is very fast and very capable, the 2010 Nissan GTR is ludicrously fast and ridiculously capable. About twice as expensive, too.

But throwing that last bit out -- as well as resale, depreciation, reliability, practicality, insurance rates and anything else that gets in the way of this pure fantasy mental exercise -- which car would you rather have parked downstairs? Talk about a tough one. I'm going to go with 51% Shelby, 49% Nissan. But don't push it, because both of these cars are that superlatively good. You?"

So boys and girls, what do you think the result was of their poll??????????

Nissan GT-R or Mustang GT500 more favoured.  Scroll down.

Keep scrolling

Nearly there

Just a bit more

Well, that's it.  I'm fed up with the world.  It's all gone to crap. :lol:

Nissan GT-R or Mustang GT500?

GT-R 6403 votes (67.0%)

GT500 3158 votes (33.0%)

:mad:

Mind you the pole is still open if you want to put your two bobs worth in.  http://www.autoblog.com/2009/11/19/choices-nissan-gt-r-or-ford-mustang-gt500/#continued

:feedback:

[/align]

65pony

• Speedster
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 02:13:04 PM »
haven't been lucky enough to drive one of those GT500's but I have been a passenger in the GT-R. One of the most ridiculous cars I have ever been in!! I don't believe their is any other car that handle like it does...

two89w

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 04:31:24 PM »
The 500 is not even in the same league a GTR. Not  a good comparison.

roadhound

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 11:10:48 PM »
There is only one here superlative good thought this was a muscle car forum the burner holds german track record

GTA390

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 05:33:24 AM »
Good comparison.
Next they will have the Fiat Bambino up against the Bugatti Veyron

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 10:00:45 AM »
Choises?  My choise, neither.

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333