Author Topic: Advice needed!  (Read 5788 times)

MR 225

Advice needed!
« on: August 13, 2009, 08:04:27 PM »
Greetings y'all.

I'm considering selling the 300C and buying a 61 Caddy Coupe deville as an every day car to promote my business. To do this, it would have to be shmick.

It would need to be super reliable, so I'm thinking of dropping a late model fuel injected chev V8 in it (like an LS2 or something). I've seen plenty of pimped up Caddies in the States but nothing with a late model engine.  Does anyone know if this is possible? Would it be difficult? I would outsource the work as I'm just a pen pusher and am hopeless mechanicly. How much would the conversion cost? Does anyone know what website I can look at to research?

Alternatively, I'd consider a bubbletop Impala or similar but they're getting expensive and I really like the look and style of the Caddy.

Any help would be much appreciated!

68PONY

Advice needed!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 08:19:20 PM »
Anything is possible , it just depends on how deep your pockets are , there would be alot of fabricating i suppose , im more than happy to find out more info for ya
cheers chris.

MR 225

Advice needed!
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 08:29:49 PM »
Thanks Chris. I'm thinking of a budget of $55 - 60K. With the dollar currently strong, I'm hoping that's achievable. If I buy one that has the exterior and interior already done from the states, hopefully that should save some cash.

OOPS. I just realised this thread is in the wrong section!

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
Advice needed!
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 09:07:51 AM »
Why do you think the Caddy engine wouldn't be reliable, assuming it was in good shape to start with?  Having said that, if you bought a Caddy and the engine and trans needed reconditioning, just get them rebuilt - they'll go forever.  

MR 225

Advice needed!
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 08:08:02 PM »
No, I'm sure it would run forever but I just think the newer engine would be more comfortable and smoother in an everyday car. Fuel economy would be better too.

I run a real estate agency in the Inner City and drive in bumper to bumper traffic 6 days a week, so I just thought it would be a better option.

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
Advice needed!
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 10:06:58 AM »
If you think a Chevy engine is going to be smoother than a Caddy engine, you're kidding yourself.  

There's a reason Cadillacs are twice the price of Chevs.  

The fuel economy is going to suck, no matter what engine is in it when you're lugging a car of that size around.

I've driven a couple of early 60's Caddies and you can't even tell if the 390 cubic inch Caddy is running or not as they're so smooth and on top of that, they will pull as good a burn out as anything.

Also, nothing lasts forever, at some stage down the track, you'll end up selling the car.  A Cadillac buyer will lift the bonnet, take one look at the Chevy engine and say "no thanks".  

Just my view.

MR 225

Advice needed!
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 05:19:14 PM »
Fair comments. I must admit, I know very little about them and have never driven one, so I can't judge the engines. I might have to try to hitch a ride in one and see what I think...

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333